Quartz edge profiles should be done in a progressive manner using only granite or marble diamond polishing pads. For best results, use premium quality pads and plenty of water. The quality of the pads being used will affect the time required to complete polishing and the quality of the finish. Polishing quartz should be done by starting with a surface that is smooth, clean, and free from any residual adhesive.
NOTE: Care must be taken not to over polish edges in excess of the factory surface polish.
Recommended polishing process for quartz:
- Honed finish 100, 200, 400-grit diamond pad
- Polished finish 100, 200, 400, 500–800, 1500–2000, 2000–3000-grit diamond pad
These recommendations are a guideline for achieving a polish equal to the factory surface polish. The type of tools, diamond pads, and fabrication techniques will affect actual polishing results. When polishing the edge profile, use water-cooled tools. Dry-polishing the edge profile may cause overheating, leaving the edge prone to chipping. Excessive heat undermines the physical structure of the slab, and although not visible to the naked eye, micro-fissures are formed, leading to chipping upon impact, discoloration and an uneven polish.
- Use lower RPM to be used on polishers when using 1000-grit or higher diamond polishing pads.
- Do not use stone “buff” pads on quartz.
- Do not over polish edge details in excess of the factory surface polish.
INSTALLATION MANDATORY PROCEDURES:
- Tops of cabinets must be flat and true to within 1/16” in 18” prior to installation.
- Allow a minimum clearance of 1/8” between walls and Q.
- Never insert mechanical fasteners, such as nails and screws, into Q.
- Provide perimeter support of full deck. Front to back support must be given every 24”. Use only dabs of flexible 100% silicone 8-12” apart to fasten tops of Q to the perimeter support.
- Grooves must be made on the edges of seams to provide space for the adhesive.
- Radius all inside corners for U-shaped and L-shaped tops to lessen corner stresses to a minimum diameter of 3/8”.
- The recommended minimum edge profile is a 1/8” bevel. The preferred minimum edge profile is a 1/8” Pencil Round edge.
- Extra adhesive should be placed on all corners along all joints.
- Support is needed for overhangs of Q that extend more than 3/4″ material, 16” in 1-1/4” material.