ALPHA PREMIUM NATURAL QUARTZ
QUARTZ COUNTERTOPS INSTALLATION GUIDELINES
Your dream-space is happening! Let’s make sure it gets done right.
RECOMMENDED INSTALLATION PROCESS
STEP BY STEP
Prior to fabrication, store your Q quartz slab in the area it will be installed for a minimum of 48 hours to allow for acclimation. If not acclimated, there’s an increased risk of breakage when exposed to the heat and pressure of cutting—especially in cold temperatures.
- Chips, cracks, and voids
- Gloss levels
- Manufacturing flaws
- Color match
- Foreign objects such as metals, wood, etc.
DO NOT CUT THE MATERIAL if you cannot cut around the problematic area. Instead, return the slab to your distributor or save it for a future project.
All corners on the countertop must be rounded to a minimum 3/8” radius. This includes sinks, cooktops, L-shaped counters, window ledges, etc. It is not necessary to round on L-Shaped counters where the seams fall at the corners.
- Always have an allowance of an extra 1/8” between the cooktop/sink and the edge of the cutout for expansion.
- Avoid cross-cutting. Always use a core bit when preparing a cutout. Also avoid damaging the drilled area with a cutting disk
- Damage to the drilled area can result in stress points that could lead to hairline cracks. To avoid generating excessive heat, all cuts should be done using only wet diamond cutting tools.
Grind away any waves or indentations to an even finish on lamination areas for edge detail. Then make grooves and notches on each piece of the build-up. The notches give space for the glue, as Q is non-porous and will not absorb glue. Clean the material with alcohol and air compressors before gluing it together.
To achieve a minimally visible seam, the adhesive being used must be pigmented to a color that is similar to the material being installed. This is possible by using color paste pigments mixed with the adhesive to achieve an identical color match.
Add extra colors/pigments to the glue to avoid dark seam lines in limestone and other lighter colors. The higher concentrations of pigments will keep the glue from changing colors once it is completely dry.
Use diamond pads only. Q is made with polymer resins, so you can only wet polish. If dry polished, the material will burn. Only polish the edge details, not the top surface.
NOTE: Care must be taken not to over polish edges in excess of the factory surface polish.
Recommended polishing process for quartz:
- Honed finish 100, 200, 400-grit diamond pad
- Polished finish 100, 200, 400, 500–800, 1500–2000, 2000–3000-grit diamond pad
These recommendations are a guideline for achieving a polish equal to the factory surface polish. The type of tools, diamond pads, and fabrication techniques will affect actual polishing results. When polishing the edge profile, use water-cooled tools. Dry-polishing the edge profile may cause overheating, leaving the edge prone to chipping. Excessive heat undermines the physical structure of the slab, and although not visible to the naked eye, micro-fissures are formed, leading to chipping upon impact, discoloration and an uneven polish.
- Use lower RPM to be used on polishers when using 1000-grit or higher diamond polishing pads.
- Do not use stone “buff” pads on quartz.
- Do not over polish edge details in excess of the factory surface polish.
INSTALLATION MANDATORY PROCEDURES:
- Tops of cabinets must be flat and true to within 1/16” in 18” prior to installation.
- Allow a minimum clearance of 1/8” between walls and Q.
- Never insert mechanical fasteners, such as nails and screws, into Q.
- Provide perimeter support of full deck. Front to back support must be given every 24”. Use only dabs of flexible 100% silicone 8-12” apart to fasten tops of Q to the perimeter support.
- Grooves must be made on the edges of seams to provide space for the adhesive.
- Radius all inside corners for U-shaped and L-shaped tops to lessen corner stresses to a minimum diameter of 3/8”.
- The recommended minimum edge profile is a 1/8” bevel. The preferred minimum edge profile is a 1/8” Pencil Round edge.
- Extra adhesive should be placed on all corners along all joints.
- Support is needed for overhangs of Q that extend more than 3/4″ material, 16” in 1-1/4” material.
Alpha Quartz has been tested for Standard Test Method for Surface Burning
Characteristics of Building Materials, and is classified as Class A. Detail test report is available on our website at www.QfromMSI.com
FIREPLACE INSTALLATION GUIDELINES:
- Q Quartz surfaces can be affected and damaged by sudden and rapid change of temperature and may not withstand the transfer of heat.
- Q Quartz material should never be used as structural support in an installation. Installer must confirm that adequate structural support exists.
- All designs must allow for thermal expansion and contraction.
- Applicable local building code requirements for all applications should be followed for building materials and surface finish.
- Check fireplace manufacturer requirements for all applications to verify any specific or special requirements.
- Appropriate clearance between quartz and surrounding walls, cabinets and structure should be maintained. Maintain a minimum of 1/8” clearance.
- Q Quartz should never be in direct contact with the firebox or any surface that may exceed 250 F.
As a general guideline, support is required for overhangs. The following guidelines are for standard cabinets 24” in depth:
- Less than 8”: 200mm – No additional support required
- 8–16”: 200–400mm – Brackets required at 24” (600mm) intervals
- Over 16”: 400mm – Legs, Columns or Panels required at 24” (600mm) intervals
2CM (¾”) with 5⁄8” sub top:
- Less than 12”: 300mm – No additional support required
- 12–20”: 300–500mm – Brackets required at 24” (600mm) intervals
- Over 24”: 500mm – Legs, Columns or Panels required at 24” (600mm) intervals
- Less than 16”: 400mm – No additional support required
- 16–24”: 400–600mm – Brackets required at 24” (600mm) intervals
- Over 24”: 600mm – Legs, Columns or Panels required at 24” (600mm) intervals
- For under mount installations, follow the minimum edge profile recommendations around the cutout to lower the risk of chipping.
- It is recommended that all sink installations be fully supported, independent of the Q top. Be sure to use a professional sink setter or support rail system. All sinks must be sealed to the countertop using 100% silicone.